Stop deleting tags when they are not used yet

Hi! I created several tags so the users have a nice list to choose from when they submit a new listing. However, I noticed when the tag is not currently used for any listing, then it gets deleted after some minutes automatically.

That means, when I create a new tag and attach it to a listing, everything is fine. But when I create a tag and want to motivate/inspire people to add a listing to it to make the site a little bit more versatile, the tags which are not in use yet, just get deleted.

Steps to reproduce

1. Create a new tag from the dashboard.
  2. Go to your list of all tags and see your newly added tag.
  3. Wait a few minutes.
  4. See that the tags which are not assigned to any post are deleted.

Actual result

The tags are removed.

Expected result

The tags stay there.

Extra details

I actually don’t know if this is something that happens to tags for standard posts as well, so it’s a WordPress problem or if it just happens for listing tags, but I just noticed it and I don’t like it to be honest and it doesn’t make any sense to me.

If something is unclear please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Thank you.

Thanks for the detailed feedback. This is expected behavior, but we’ll try to find a better solution, maybe by adding an extra option for backend-added tags. It works this way in the current version to prevent flooding the database. Since users can add tags & delete them, running some script that adds tags in a loop without deleting the unset tags would flood the database. Currently unused tags are removed automatically.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.