Change the display of category selection

Hi!

I have an issue and I’ll hope I can try to explain properly. I have some categories with the following hierarchy:

Category 1 → Subcategory 1
Category 2 → Subcategory 2 → Subcategory 2
Category 3

I would like to know if it is an easy way to improve the presentation in the select category field:

1. The select category field shows the information like this:

Category 1
Category 2
Category 3

When I choose Category 1 is shows me “<-- Category 1” and “Subcategory 1”… it is ok but it only works in one way, I mean, is it possible to modify the selector to show also if a category has childs, I mean, to have somethink like this in the first selection:

→ Category 1
→ Category 2
Category 3

It is difficult to navigate downstream with no information about if a category has subcategories or not. I only would like to know if there is an easy way to modify it or not.

Thanks and best regards,

Hi,

If you mean displaying the selection of categories in the add listing form, then unfortunately there is no such possibility, it will require a custom implementation.

I am really referring to the control. When I select a subcategory, the parent is shown at the top with the prefix “<–,” which is useful.

However, it would also be useful if a category listed could have a prefix to indicate it has a child in the same way. Currently, when I choose a category, it’s difficult to navigate because the user doesn’t know which category has subcategories or not.

I think I should develop a custom implementation. If so, where is defined the logic about the category field with prefix (parent/child) in the submit form?

Thanks and best regards,

Hi Andrii,

For more information, only when a subcategory is selected in the submit form the parent category is concatenated in real time with the prefix “←”. I would like that in the same selector category field all categories, independing of the level, can be concatenated with the suffix" →" in order to give more information to the final user to indicate him which category is not a final category.

Hoping it can clarify more,

Thanks and regards,

Thanks for your suggestion, if you mean adding some indication that the category has subcategories, there’s no such option at the moment, but we’ll consider adding it.

Thank you, Ihor, for clarifying. Do you know if there’s a straightforward way to modify this, or is editing the PHP source code the only option?

Best regards,

Hi,

Sorry, there’s no simple code snippet for this, it would require a custom implementation.

Thanks Andrii,

I will focus then on a custom implementacion.

Best regards,