How to customize HivePress via a child theme

I would like thank everyone in advance for all the information provided in this community, it is a fantastic resource.

First I will admit this is likely one of the silliest questions regarding child themes. Per the video on “customizing templates”, it is recommend to use a child theme. When I research ‘google across the web’ and within the support group I am confused about which option is best - a plug in or manually? If plug in, does the community have a vote on one they like?

Manually, I have three different ‘functions.php’ codes - not sure which one I should use. Obviously if I use a above recommended plug in, this answer is not important.

Below are the three options:
Start example one

<?php add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', 'listinghive_enqueue_styles' ); function listinghive_enqueue_styles() { wp_enqueue_style( 'child-style', get_stylesheet_uri(), array( 'parenthandle' ), wp_get_theme()->get( 'Version' ) // This only works if you have Version defined in the style header. ); } **end one** **Start two** /* enqueue scripts and style from parent theme */ function listinghive_styles() { wp_enqueue_style( 'child-style', get_stylesheet_uri(), array( 'listinghive-style' ), wp_get_theme()->;get('Version') ); } add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', 'listinghive_styles'); **End two** **Start three** <?php add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', 'listinghive_enqueue_styles' ); function listinghive_theme_enqueue_styles() { wp_enqueue_style( 'parent-style', get_template_directory_uri() . '/style.css' ); } ?>

end three

Hi,

Thanks, I’m glad it’s useful!

Unfortunately I can’t help regarding the code customization skills, but I can provide some guidance if this helps, regarding HivePress-specific customizations. You can create a child theme using a generator or a plugin https://childtheme-generator.com/ Once you create and activate it, you can add custom code snippets to its functions.php (not to the parent theme functions.php). Also, you can keep custom code snippets using the Code Snippets plugin, this may be easier.

Okay , thanks - I will go the plug in route. Much appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.