.htaccess file is not writable

Describe the issue in as much detail as possible. Please remove the sections below if the issue is obvious enough and doesn’t require extra details.

Steps to reproduce

move from shared hosting to VPS (Centos 7), log in to wp-admin and then click on setting - permalinks

Actual result

Error: Your .htaccess file is not writable, so updating it automatically was not possible. These are the mod_rewrite rules you should have in your .htaccess file. Click in the field and press Ctrl + A (or ⌘ + A on Mac) to select all.

the above is the error message I got and I am not able to move on the website (navigating to any page except the homepage will give a forbidden error 404)

Expected result

no error and smooth navigation

Extra details

I tried to find the .htaccess file on the WordPress installation folder by i could not, so I have added it manually to different directories including (var/www/html) (var/www/html/wp-content) (var/www/html/wp-admin)

I am not sure where I should add the file or where to find the original one.

your help is really appreciated

Thanks for the details. This is a server-level issue, it’s not related to ExpertHive theme - please try changing the .htaccess file permissions via FTP (related topic .htaccess is currently not writable? | WordPress.org), or try contacting your hosting provider - they should be able to help with this.

Thanks for the reply @ihor

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.