The vendor name appears when sharing on social media

Hello.
First of all, thank you for your patience and creating this template.
I have finished the project, some final questions.

I have created an Attribute “Company” and it is seen correctly on all pages with the name “Company”
But when it is shared on WhatsApp or Social Networks, instead of “Company” the name “Seller” appears.

Where is the text “Seller” located? I want to change it to “Company”.

From already thank you very much.

Note: I only use their plugins and codes

And the final query:
I have already created the WhatsApp button, with the code that is in their tutorials.

WhatsApp

Please could you provide me with a code to add the WhatsApp icon? I’ve tried various code combinations, but haven’t succeeded. :cold_sweat:
Thank you.

Please check if this plugin has any options for editing the short description source. It seems that it uses Excerpt, but we use this field to generate the listing search snippet (used when searching by keywords, so it contains the vendor name). If you use the listing description as a source (post_content instead of post_excerpt) it should be ok, you can try asking their support.

Hope this helps.

Sorry but i do not understand.
With Loco translate I can’t find it.
I want to solve the Attribute problem
please can you help me?

Hi,

Please note that Excerpt in WordPress is a short description of a post. Since listings do not use it, we decided to use this field to generate a search snippet. Therefore, attributes that are marked as Indexable, vendor name, and categories are added there. It is possible to hide this, but you need a custom implementation, or use SEO or Open Graph plugins where you can choose the source of the shared text.

I believe this will be useful to you.

Hi ihor and andrii,

I read that you decided to use Excerpt for a search snippet including the vendor name, but this can cause a huge data breach. While listings may not use Excerpt, other systems do.

I do not want the vendor to be shown anywhere, so in the settings I disabled vendors on the front-end:

In most themes, including the ListingHive theme, Excerpt is used on the regular search results archive page (via www.domain.com/?s=keyword). It shows pages and posts including listings. In ListingHive, the excerpt is displayed as well as the post author of the listing, like this:

So now the full name of our users is exposed without their consent. But even worse, since lots of our vendors were imported (from another WordPress site where the email address was set as the user name), their email address was automatically entered as the vendor name/title, which is now publicly shown by default. This is not good.

Also, please note that some themes and/or SEO plugins may use Excerpt as a meta description in the head of the listing page.

Please, please make the vendor name only appear in the excerpt if the setting above (as in my first screenshot) is enabled. And please add a setting to ListingHive to disable the post author for listings as well.

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi,

Yes, additional customization is required if you use third-party plugins for Listing post type, but please note that this is a custom post type and it is normal that we use post type fields for different purposes. For example, the SEO plugin is enabled for custom post types by various actions. Therefore, in fact, an Excerpt is a short description, and it stores, for example, not some confidential information but comma-separated indexable attributes, vendors, and categories, all searchable fields. For our part, we can provide you with a snippet to prevent Excerpt from being used for this purpose, but then the search will not work correctly. Let us know if this works for you.

Hello andrii
I don’t want to move or delete anything.
I just need to change the word “Seller” to the word “Company”
Is it possible with a php code that you could provide me?

Hi,

Please try to use the Loco Translate plugin: How to change any static text - HivePress Help Center

Hi andrii,

Thanks for your reply.

This issue is not related to third-party plugins. This unwanted disclosure of vendor names in Excerpt is default when using the ListingHive theme, as I pointed out in the second screenshot of my previous post.

Below is a screenshot of your demo site, where the Excerpt including the vendor name is displayed on the search results page:

All I’m asking is to remove the vendor name from Excerpt if the HivePress setting Display vendors on the front-end is disabled. Otherwise users are misleaded and will think vendors are not visible to visitors, which they obviously are on other pages.

And again, please also add the option to disable author display in ListingHive for the same reason (see second red circle in screenshot).

Hi,

Regarding the fact that listings are searched in general search as posts, thank you for reporting this bug, we will fix it in the next update.

But please note that we can use the Excerpt field and other fields in the custom post type for any purpose, yes, this may affect compatibility with third-party plugins (for example, the social sharing you use also uses the post_excerpt field, but check in more detail if it is possible to switch the source of sharing the description or try using another sharing plugin). We won’t use the other field for the snippet search since WordPress searches only by the excerpt, titles, and post_content fields.

Additionally, we will fix a bug where if the Display vendors on the front-end option is checked, we will remove the name from the search snippet.

Thanks for your feedback.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.